How to get compensation for an injury from a slip-and-fall accident?

On Behalf of | Jun 22, 2023 | Personal Injury |

Slip-and-fall accidents can cause serious injuries. These injuries can debilitate a victim and break the bank for hospitalization, lost work hours and treatment.

Victims of slip and fall accidents can claim compensation for their injuries. The person or entity that is liable depends on where it happened. You could pursue workers’ compensation benefits if the accident occurred in the workplace. If it was in a commercial establishment like a mall or a restaurant, you could claim compensation from the business owner.

You need to meet some requirements to file for a claim. To get you started, here are three key things you need to attempt to recover compensation for your injuries:

Seek guidance from a personal injury lawyer

Your focus after a slip-and-fall accident is your health. A personal injury lawyer will help you with the paperwork. They will also help develop a convincing case to ensure you get fair compensation.

Present evidence of negligence

No matter how careful a person is, slip-and-fall accidents can still happen due to uncontrollable but preventable factors, including a wet floor, crack, bump, or clutter inside an establishment or your place of work. If you are sure that the accident is an establishment’s or your employer’s fault, take a picture of the site where the accident happened.

Get as much information from your physician

Immediate consultation with a physician does not only help you find relief when you are in pain. The doctor’s findings about your injury can also help with how much compensation you can claim from the liable party. The severity of your injury and the overall treatment cost can be important in filing a claim.

Victims of slip-and-fall accidents can file a claim for the injuries, pain and suffering that they are experiencing. While you focus on healing and recovering from your injuries, working with a personal injury lawyer can help you develop a persuasive case and get the compensation you are owed.