When people go out for work, visit a loved one, or run errands, the last thing they probably anticipate is slipping or tripping and then falling onto the ground. The injuries of hitting the floor or pavement can do serious damage on the human body. A person may suffer from mild cuts and bruises, to more critical conditions like a traumatic brain injury. In some cases, an individual or entity may have had an influence in the accident happening. So, those who have slipped and fallen may want to know what their options are in seeking compensation from the party at-fault for their injuries, damages and other losses.
What are the major contributors to slip and falls?
There are multitude of scenarios that could unfold which causes a person to slip and fall. However, a few of the main contributors to such accidents can involve slippery floors, uneven flooring, inadequate lighting, violations in building codes like lacking handrails on stairs, and tripping hazards like loose wires and cluttered products.
How should I react after a slip and fall accident?
First and foremost, you may want to call an ambulance if you feel any pains, dull aches, dizziness or other symptoms. Do keep in mind that even if you don't feel any obvious injuries at the time of the accident, that doesn't mean bumps and bruises won't show up at a later time. Perhaps the best thing you can do is see a doctor regardless. If you want to eventually sue the party that was responsible for your fall, starting documentation as proof for your injuries can be hugely important in your case. Here we have summarized how to react after a slip and fall accident:
- Ask for a medical team to receive an exam before you leave the scene
- Take photographs of exactly where you tumbled, including anything that could have contributed to your fall (cracked pavement, retail products on the floor, liquid puddle, etc.)
- Talk to a landlord or manager for the property to report the accident. For example, if you fell at a retail store you will want to speak with a supervisor about filing an incident report. If you were to fall at an apartment complex, then you can follow up with the landlord or building owner.
- Get a recheck from you doctor to see how your injuries are healing and if you need any additional treatment.
- If you endured physical and financial loss because of a fall that may have been partially another person's fault, then consider meeting with a qualified slip and fall attorney in your area.
What should I do if I want to seek compensation for damages?
In a slip and fall lawsuit, the verdict of the case highly depends on how much evidence you can bring to light. Influential pieces of evidence can include things like photographs, witness statements, doctor exams, and medical bill receipts. Many victims of slip and fall accidents may also lose earnings due to being out of work for recovery. If the accident injury necessitated the employee staying home and missing out on pay, this can be calculated into the potential compensation award.
Thanks to our friends from Cohen & Cohen, PC, for their insight into slip and fall accidents.